Are you interested in significantly elevating your presence in the UK market? It’s a $300 billion opportunity that is renowned for a forward-thinking consumer base. But many companies often overlook the importance of partnering with the right UK food distributors.
The UK has over 100,000 distributors, each one specializing in different products and regional markets. With so many potential partners to choose from, it’s essential you take time to research a distributor with the passion, network, and expertise to help your F&B product thrive in the UK. This process can be lengthy, so to save you time, we interviewed local experts and gathered their top recommendations for UK distribution partners.
Your search begins with this article, so let’s dive in!
How We Chose Our Top UK Food Distributors
We engaged more than 20 professionals in our GourmetPro network who have amassed decades of expertise launching and scaling food businesses in the UK market. These industry veterans provided us with the most up-to-date insights about the distribution landscape in the UK.
To rank the distributors, we meticulously evaluated our expert's responses against a range of key aspects to ensure an exhaustive understanding of each distributor's strengths and capabilities. These factors encompass:
- Annual revenue: A robust indicator of a distributor's market presence and success
- Founding date: The experience and longevity of the company in the industry
- Number of customers and facilities: The reach and scale of their operations
- Type of clients served: The spectrum of clients, from independent operators to national chains
- Industry specialisations: Unique niches and expertise within the food and beverage sector
- Growth history: A history of expansion and adapting to market demands
- Client reputation: The quality of relationships with well-known brands and partners
By assessing these factors, we've assembled a detailed overview that empowers food and beverage industry executives to make knowledgeable decisions when choosing a top distribution partner to bolster their business in the fiercely competitive UK market.
Our List of The Top 11 UK Food Distributors
Choosing a distributor to partner with involves careful thought. It's crucial to comprehend the UK landscape, where your product fits in, and how effectively a distributor can help you achieve your business objectives. Take your time to make the right decision.
1. Bidfood UK
The Leading Food Distributor in the UK Bidfood UK is a dominant player in the foodservice industry, boasting an impressive annual sales of over £1.3 billion. This London-based company primarily serves restaurants, healthcare and educational facilities, and hospitality establishments. Bidfood's growth strategy emphasizes customer service, supply chain efficiency, and a wide product range, including fresh and frozen food, beverages, and equipment.
- Website: https://www.bidfood.co.uk/
- Contact: 0370 3663 000
- Headquarters: Slough, UK
- Distribution Centres: 23
2. Brakes Group
Established in 1958, Brakes Group a major foodservice distributor in the UK with an annual turnover exceeding £3.5 billion. The company caters to independent and multi-unit restaurants, healthcare and hospitality entities, and other foodservice businesses. With a focus on sustainability and high-quality private-label products, Brakes Group serves as an appealing partner for big players entering the UK market.
- Website: https://www.brake.co.uk/
- Contact: 0345 606 9090
- Headquarters: Ashford, UK
- Distribution Centres: 70+
3. Bestway Wholesale
Bestway Wholesale, founded in 1976, is a top food distributor in the UK. The company boasts an impressive customer base ranging from independent restaurants to national chains, and it specialises in custom solutions tailored to their clients' needs. Bestway's client roster includes big names like Subway, highlighting their ability to accommodate large-scale distribution requirements. The company reported revenue of 4.51 billion for FY 2022.
- Website: https://www.bestwaywholesale.co.uk/
- Contact: 01738 646666
- Headquarters: London, UK
- Distribution Centres: 60+
4. Booker Group
The Booker Group, established in 1835, is a UK-based food and beverage distributor. Serving a diverse range of clients, Booker operates over 200 branches across the UK. The company specialises in supply chain solutions for convenience stores, caterers, and small businesses. Booker's partnership with Tesco demonstrates its capacity to collaborate with large-scale retail chains.
- Website: https://www.booker.co.uk/
- Contact: 01933 371000
- Headquarters: Wellingborough, UK
- Distribution Centres: 200+
5. JJ Food Service
JJ Food Service, founded in 1988, is a leading foodservice provider in the UK. The company prides itself on excellent customer service and a broad product range. With over 30,000 products on offer, the company serves restaurants, schools, and care homes. JJ Food Service has been recognised with multiple industry awards for its innovation and commitment to quality.
- Website: https://www.jjfoodservice.com/
- Contact: 01992 701701
- Headquarters: Enfield, UK
- Distribution Centres: 11
6. Castell Howell Foods
A family-run business established in 1988, Castell Howell Foods is a major distributor to restaurants, schools, and retailers in Wales and the South West. The company is known for its commitment to local sourcing, sustainability, and high-quality products. This dedication has won it the reputation of being one of the most trusted food distributors in the region.
- Website: http://www.castellhowellfoods.co.uk/
- Contact: 01269 846080
- Headquarters: Cross Hands, UK
- Distribution Centres: 5
7. Creed Foodservice
Creed Foodservice, founded in 1972, is an independent, family-owned food distributor specialising in bespoke solutions for its clients. The company serves a diverse range of sectors, including education, healthcare, and hospitality. Creed's key strengths lie in its commitment to sustainability, award-winning customer service, and a wide array of products.
- Website: https://www.creedfoodservice.co.uk/
- Contact: 01452 857555
- Headquarters: Staverton, UK
- Distribution Centres: 3
8. Henderson Foodservice
A subsidiary of the Henderson Group, Henderson Foodservice was established in 1967. The company is a leading player in the Irish foodservice market and offers a wide range of fresh, frozen, and ambient products to its customers. Henderson Foodservice is recognised for its customer-centric approach and a commitment to quality.
- Website: https://www.henderson-foodservice.com/
- Contact: +44 (0)28 9034 2733
- Headquarters: Newtownabbey, UK
- Distribution Centres: at least 2
9. Philip Dennis Foodservice
Established in 1912, Philip Dennis Foodservice is a family-owned business that offers a comprehensive range of products to its customers across the South West. The company prides itself on delivering high-quality products, excellent customer service, and supporting local suppliers.
- Website: https://www.philipdennis.co.uk/
- Contact: 01271 311122
- Headquarters: Barnstaple, UK
- Distribution Centres: NA
10. Turner Price
Founded in 1992, Turner Price is a family-owned leading food distributor serving a diverse clientele across Yorkshire, the Midlands, and the North of England. The company is known for its customer-first approach, flexible service, and wide range of products.
- Website: https://www.turner-price.com/
- Contact: 01482 577100
- Headquarters: Hull, UK
- Distribution Centres: 1
11. Savona Foodservice
Savona Foodservice, established in 1960, is an independent, family-owned food distributor serving the South and South West of England. The company stands out for its commitment to sustainable practices and its wide range of products that cater to varying dietary requirements. They also own a fleet of 50+ multi-temperature vehicles.
- Website: https://www.savona.co.uk/
- Contact: 01865 852010
- Headquarters: Kidlington, UK
- Distribution Centres: 2
Choosing the Right Partner
Selecting the right food distributor is a strategic decision that can significantly influence your business's success in the UK market. We wrote a detailed post that includes everything you need to know to get started finding the perfect partner for your F&B product.
Alternatively, here are a few steps to ensure you make the best choice:
- Identify your needs: Understand your product range, target market, and logistical requirements. Are you looking for a distributor with a national reach, or would a regional distributor be a better fit? Do you need a distributor specialising in your product category, or would a generalist work better?
- Research: Leverage the list above, network with industry professionals, and participate in trade shows and industry events. This will give you a deeper understanding of each distributor's strengths, weaknesses, and market reputation.
- Reach out: Connect with the distributors you're interested in. Engage in conversations to understand their capabilities, ethos, and how they can support your business goals.
- Evaluate: Assess the distributor's infrastructure, reliability, and financial stability. Check if they provide marketing support and how they handle product returns. Ask for references and check their past performance.
- Negotiate: Once you've identified a potential partner, negotiate terms such as pricing, delivery schedules, and payment terms.
- Start Small: It's advisable to start with a small commitment and scale up as the relationship develops.
Ace Your Distribution In the UK With GourmetPro
Entering the UK market is a strategic move for food and beverage companies seeking to expand into Europe. With its robust economy, diverse consumer base, and well-established infrastructure, the UK serves as an excellent launching pad for reaching neighbouring markets such as Ireland, France, and Germany.
To ensure your success in the UK and the broader European region, leverage the expertise of GourmetPro. We provide pre-screened local experts in the region on a flexible basis, offering invaluable insights and support throughout your market entry journey.
Our experienced team can help you:
- Identify the best route to market in the UK and Europe
- Adapt your sales pitch to resonate with local consumers and distributors
- Find the right partners to facilitate your product's success in the region
By working with GourmetPro, you'll have access to essential local knowledge and a dedicated team focused on your success in the UK and beyond. Our expertise will help you navigate the complexities of the market, enabling you to capitalise on the vast opportunities available here and in Europe.
Don't miss the chance to make your mark in the vibrant UK market. Contact GourmetPro today and let us help you unlock your potential in these exciting markets. Together, we can turn your vision into a reality and achieve lasting success across Europe.
FAQs for The Top 11 UK Food Distributors
Q1 - How do I find distributors for my products in the UK?
Finding a distributor in the UK begins with researching potential distributors that align with your brand and product needs. Industry trade shows, online directories, and professional networks are good starting points. Additionally, GourmetPro's local experts can provide an excellent, trustworthy solution. They can help you find the perfect distributor that can accelerate your growth in the UK market. Get in touch with us today.
Q2 - Who is the top oriental food distributor in the UK?
The leading oriental food distributor in the UK is M.A. Oriental Foods. With a strong emphasis on Asian cuisine, they are renowned for their comprehensive range of products and outstanding service.
Q3 - Who is the top fine food distributor in the UK?
The Fine Food Company is the premier distributor of fine foods in the UK. They have a sterling reputation for providing a wide variety of high-quality gourmet foods, with a focus on exceptional service and delivery.